Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/weoichri/oates.org/plugins/content/jsshareit/jsshareit.php on line 260
Warning: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/weoichri/oates.org/plugins/content/jsshareit/jsshareit.php on line 264
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/weoichri/oates.org/plugins/content/jsshareit/jsshareit.php on line 336
Welcome to the 2013 Fall Online Conference
A lot of questions are being asked by chaplains, counselors, pastors, and social workers who are concerned about the pastoral and spiritual care provided to people they serve. They are concerned about what the future is going to look like for their professions. Questions such as:
- What will this mean for pastoral and spiritual care expectations as the number of people living longer (and living longer with serious illness) continues to increase?
- Where will the jobs be in the future? What are the emerging opportunities?
- How will the Affordable Care Act affect healthcare chaplaincy?
- What opportunities are emerging in the areas of palliative care? Workplace spiritual care? Post-traumatic stress and critical incident spiritual care? Other areas that are primarily outpatient care?
- How is the provision of pastoral and spiritual care in congregations changing?
- What do we need to learn to be prepared for those opportunities?
This fall the Oates Institute will present a major online conference addressing these questions at the intersection of healthcare and congregation, workplace and community. The conference will feature three overlapping tracks for chaplains; counselors, spiritual directors, and social workers; and congregational leaders. It will provide continuing professional education credit for these professions.
Presenters will include:
- Wendy Cadge, Ph.D., Author, Paging God: Religion in the Halls of Medicine
- Valerie Storms, M.Div., BCC, President, Association of Professional Chaplains
- Patricia Appelhans, JD, CEO, Association of Professional Chaplains
- Doug Ronsheim, D.Min., Executive Director, American Association of Pastoral Counselors
- John Swinton, Ph.D., Spirituality and Health, Kings College, Aberdeen, Scotland
- Carrie Doehring, Ph.D., Iliff Seminary, developed a PTSD program for the Air Force
- Bruce Rumbold, Ph.D., Palliative Care Senior Lecturer, Public Health, Australia
- Dallas Little, D.Min., Air Force chaplain (Major) working with PTSD
- Mark Grace, M.Div., BCC, Vice President, Office of Mission & Ministry, Baylor Health Care System
- Malcolm Marler, D.Min., Director of Pastoral Care, University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital
- Paul Simmons, Ph.D., Bioethicist, University of Louisville Medical School
- George Handzo, M.Div., BCC, Healthcare Chaplaincy and Chaplaincy consultant
- Patricia Donahoo, D.Min., Director of Women's Ministries, Disciples of Christ
- Clifford Kuhn, MD, Psyciatrist known as the Laugh Doctor, specialist in integrative medicine
- Joseph Steier, JD, President, Signature Healthcare
- Dianne Timmering, Vice President of Spirituality, Signature Healthcare
Participate from Anywhere:
This is a conference that allows you to participate from wherever you are as long as you have an Internet connection. Log in from home, office, or neighborhood coffee shop. It also allows you to participate as it is convenient to your schedule, with the exception of the scheduled Live Discussion sessions with the presenters. It is a conference that will offer a lot of presentations and opportunities. Think of it as a buffet where you can partake of some or partake of all.
Early registration through May 31:
$39 for members, $120 for non-members -- Membership + conference: $179
Regular registration (June 1-September 20):
$49 for members, $120 for non-members -- Membership + conference: $189
Late registration after September 20:
$69 for members, $139 for non-members -- Membership + conference: $209