CCN Intro Seminar 1
This course covers essential elements and skills of congregational care, including theological perspectives and increasing the ability to listen from a fresh viewpoint.
Introduction to Congregational Care
Instructors: Rick Underwood, Karen Lovett
Following this seminar, participants should be able to:
1. Understand and practice foundational skills for providing congregational care.
2. Reflect on theological perspectives of providing care to others.
3. Recognize the importance of offering a caring presence.
4. Provide enhanced listening skills by listening in deeper ways, from different perspectives.
5. Shift the focus of caring from doing to being.
6. Hear the “language of tears.”
A Primer in Pastoral Care, Jeanne Stevenson-Moessner
Listening and Caring Skills in Ministry, John Savage
Sample Discussion Forum exercise: Reflection question from Primer Intro on experiences of effective pastoral care
Primer Introduction, Chapter 1
Listening & Caring, Chapter 1, “I Think I Know What You Mean”
Primer Chapter 2
Listening & Caring, Chapter 2
Fears by Michael Purintun (see course curriculum)
Primer Chapter 3
Listening & Caring, Chapter 8, “Story Listening”
Daniel Bagby audio “Language of Tears”
Daniel Bagby handout on “Language of Tears” (see course curriculum)
Primer Chapters 5, 6, 7
Listening & Caring, Chapter 3
No Reviews found for this course.